Essential oils are often used in aromatherapy, a form of alternative medicine that employs plant extracts to support health and well-being.
Essential oils are compounds extracted from plants - the oils capture the plant’s scent and flavor, or “essence.” Unique aromatic compounds give each essential oil its characteristic essence.
The oils are obtained through distillation (via steam and/or water) or mechanical methods, such as cold pressing. Once the aromatic chemicals have been extracted, they are combined with a carrier oil to create a product that’s ready for use.
The way the oils are made is important, as essential oils obtained through chemical processes are not considered true essential oils.
All of our oils (and blend mixes) are obtained through distillation or cold pressing and are pure 100% essential oils. The bottles contain 30ml of essential oil and each is priced individually - see drop down selection for prices.
- Essential oils are most commonly used in the practice of aromatherapy, in which they are inhaled through various methods.
- Essential oils are not meant to be swallowed.
- The chemicals in essential oils can interact with your body in several ways and you should check with your doctor before using (especially if pregnant).
- When applied to your skin, diluted in a carrier oil, some plant chemicals are absorbed
- Inhaling the aromas from essential oils can stimulate areas of your limbic system, which is a part of your brain that plays a role in emotions, behaviors, sense of smell, and long-term memory.
- Interestingly, the limbic system is heavily involved in forming memories. This can partly explain why familiar smells can trigger memories or emotions.
- The limbic system also plays a role in controlling several unconscious physiological functions, such as breathing, heart rate, and blood pressure. As such, some people claim that essential oils can exert a physical effect on your body, however, this has yet to be confirmed in studies.
- Essential oils can be inhaled or diluted and applied to the skin. They may stimulate your sense of smell or have medicinal effects when absorbed.
True to our business ethos of sustainable, ethical and recyclable/upcycled practice (including our labelling and packaging).
All of our oils are obtained through distillation or cold pressing and are pure 100% essential oils. We only source from ethical and sustainable suppliers.